SEO Marketing: Back-linking to Benefit Your Website Today
Besides the aspects mentioned in our previous article we need to consider the freshness of the link, the anchor quality, popularity and social signals in order to carry out a successful back-link marketing project.
Types of back-links
Generally speaking, Google and other search engines recognise two main types of back-links:
- Do-follow back-links pass the value of the linking page to the linked page. This value can also be referred to as link juice.
- No-follow back-links don’t score any points to the linked website. They don’t pass the value because of the HTML tag “relationship = nofollow” that tells crawlers not to include it.
Editorial Back-link Mentions
Editorial back-links a common form of creating effective back-links. In this type of link, a website with high authority creates a back-link to your website. This can be in the form of journalist, publisher, or a blogger creates a link back to your website from a credible source (publication or a well-established blog).
A common aspect of the link-building process should happen organically and it’s because of this that makes it the highest value link for your website. This type of links give silent recognition from blog or editorial websites that you will only notice traffic from after your website has been linked. In order to get people writing about and linking your website, it really comes down to quality.
Guest Blog & Posting
Guest posting is one of the easiest and therefore popular link building techniques. The process is simply writing a post for another website, linking back to your own. This is both advantageous for the website as it will gain free content and beneficial for your websites ranking by receiving a back-link from this website. In order for this to continue being a reliable source in the algorithm, writing quality content again is key.
If you want a strong back-link that naturally sends traffic, the guest post quality has to be extremely high. The popularity of this technique as earlier mentioned means that a lot of people use it and the back-link guest post market can be over saturated by poor quality articles and poor request for cooperation emails.
Here’s what you should keep in mind when deciding on the guest post collaboration campaign:
- Don’t use copy and paste email templates or bcc.
- Apply a subjective approach.
- Offer well-researched topics & relevant information.
How to Use Your Competitors Back-links
A time-consuming but still quite effective strategy is to find what works for the other websites in your market. Find websites that link to your competitors, see what you can bring to the table and offer relevant websites to link to your website as well.
A convenient way to find your competitors back-links is to use a tool such as Backlinks by Neil by entering the domain of the website, which will perform an analysis and show all the connected back-links they have. Once you find your competitors’ back-links, it’s time to explore the best openings for your website.
You should consider the following points:
- Link relevance: will the link be relevant to your content?
- Link strength: What is the value or ranking of the linking page?
- Ability to replicate the back-link for your own website?
The next step is email outreach – contacting the website owners to replace the back-link of your competitor (also known as the skyscraper link building technique) or add your back-link as an additional resource to their website.
Other helpful tips that will help in successful link building:
- Rich text-based link building: create content that will naturally attract back-links, social shares and referral traffic.
- Social media back-links: Share your content on social media, promote it on Facebook, join discussions, comment relevant posts and create connections.
- Broken link building: Seek websites with inactive links and give them your content to link to instead. WordPress has a great plug-in for that which you can download here.
To read our complete on-page optimisation techniques guide, click here.